Re: update of "welcome to the list" message

2004-11-23 02:23:48
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 23:17 -0800, Greg Connor wrote:
Team-

I know not everyone agrees with Meng's message.  But keep in mind that this
is really Meng's list, and if he wants to use it to send out his message,
that's his right.

I'm willing to bet that once the SPF elected representatives come up with a
mission statement, that Meng will be happy to support that by posting it,
but currently we have no official organization and no official message.

I agree with you somewhat, as I host or am involved in hosting
manythings as a community service or other such related matter, I can
appreciate his generosity.  However, that doesn't mean that this list
should be a vehicle for MS propoganda.

This list is about SPF.  Not about SenderID.  The only thing this list
knows of SenderID is how flawed and useless it is, and how much time it
has wasted.

The message in question is literally soliciting support for an entity
entirely controversial to this list, and its inappropriate ENTIRELY.
Must we continue to tolerate this flagrant abuse of position?

It might not sound like I think very much of Meng, but I actually do, I
fully appreciate all of the work and travelling he has done for SPF.
Furthermore I appreciate his expertise in the email business and his
desire for commercial interests.  However, this is just way over the top
and so not appropriate, especially when a council is about to be
elected.  This information in addition to be controversial and wrong, is
also going to confuse the hell out of newcomers.

How the hell are we supposed to organize something appropriate when this
sort of propaganda is being flagrantly spewed forth from the "official
SPF mailinglist" ?

As Captain Hook would say, Bad form Jack, bad form. ;-)

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,