Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-24 09:52:19
wayne wrote:

I read your recent white paper on email authentication.  In general, I
liked it and I think it will be a useful guide to many.  I do,
however, have a number of questions about the paper.  Would you be
able to answer the questions, or pass them on to whoever authored the
paper?

Sure. I was the primary author along with input from the rest of our technical staff.

* Could you proved some more detailed results of the "extensive
  testing under real-world deployment scenarios"?  That would be
  extremely useful to many people, even if it is in a very rough
format.

Analysis of testing data/requirements as gathered by some of our large ISP customers, Enterprises, and a number of key technical partner sites. Comparing the authentication/filtering results between SPF/SID/DK protected mail. Discussions with infrastructure folks about their needs and likely deployment paths. Mostly this information was used to develop likely course of evolution for authentication on the net, which this document reflects.

* SPF validates the Return-Path: header, which *is* usually available
to the end-user, although not usually visible. The Resent-* headers that Sender ID validates are *not* any more user-visible than the

  Why does the paper claim that the Return-Path: header is not visible
  while the Resent-* headers are?

Return-Path: is a reflection of the RFC2821 MAIL FROM address, and is entirely at the discretion of the MDA as to whether or not to insert it. Resent-* are RFC2822 headers which always get stored for every message. For example, looking at my two primary mailboxes (one personal, one work, both running very common standards-based software), one records/exposes Return-Path: and another doesn't (ironically in reverse order from what I expected).

* What incompatibliites to end-to-end cryptographic authentication
  systems does SRS cause?  I know of none.

The reference is specifically with regards to BATV compatibility. While it may be possible to make the two formats compatible/encapsulatable within each other, the conversations on this list lately have shown that not even this group can agree on how to make SES and SRS compatible, or even what is the canonical SRS spec at this time. Without more solid specs and without knowing possible incompatibilities between these as-yet-unsolidified specs I can't make a recommendation that people deploy such schemes at this time.

* Why is only mention DK, but not IIM or SES?

There is currently very little deployment of IIM or SES, and little indication that will grow soon. There are already a number of large sites signing/checking DK, so there is real sender benefit to implement. I still have hopes that IIM and DK will centralize on a standard spec, so I didn't want to confuse the issue with two (comparably expensive) crypto approaches yet without major benefits to doing so.

* Why do you recommend mailing lists modify the MAIL FROM addresses to
  make sure they are properly authrorized, but you do not recommend
  that mail forwarders do the same?  Any modification to the MAIL FROM
  address by mailing lists cause the same problems as for forwarders,
  so the recommendations should be the same.

Mailing lists should be taking responsibility for the messages that they send out, and this shift in accountability should be recorded in the MAIL FROM and Sender: headers. Forwarders are simple redirectors, and should do as little to messages passing through them as possible.

Cheers - Rand