Re: My notes from FTC Summit with statistics

2004-11-26 09:13:28
william(at)elan.net wrote:

If I remember Sendmail also said that they ran their own tests and increased cpu load on any single server due to signing all emails was about 25%, I think this may have been with smaller 384 or 512 keys.

No, 7-8% for signing w/ a 384 bit key:

        http://sendmail.net/dk-milter/benchmark/

We should probably assume that good size keys (768 at least) would mean around 50% increase in cpu load (and to me that is acceptable number).

Actually, it appears to be the SHA1 hash that takes about 90% of the time for the DK signature, so the message size will matter more than key length. We're doing some tests w/ 512 and 1024 bit keys to double check, but this would seem to hold with Port25's tests that showed IIM signing took about twice as much time as DK signing because IIM does two independent SHA1s.

-Rand