RE: Re: My notes from FTC Summit with statistics

2004-11-26 11:44:41
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of David
Woodhouse
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 11:31 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: My notes from FTC Summit with
statistics

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 08:13 -0800, Rand Wacker wrote:
william(at)elan.net wrote:

<snip>

Can't the canonicalisation and the SHA1 hash be calculated as the
message is arriving, rather than only afterwards? Seems a
little strange
for the CPU to sit idle while waiting for data to arrive off the
network, and only actually process the message once it's complete.

Not that I actually think this is a worthwhile optimisation, since the
CPU time is still negligible, but it's an option for those
who disagree
with that assessment.

For small environments, there are lots of CPU cycles that can afford to be
wasted.

For large environment, the CPU is not idle anyway, because it is working on the
that was received (milli)seconds earlier.

So I don't follow your argument about "idle cpu waste".

BTW  sitting idle is what most servers spend a significant portion of their
time doing, else they
wouldn't be able to keep up during peak periods.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

--