RE: Attacking Domain Keys

2004-12-02 00:54:05
I noticed only belatedly that this message was cross-posted to two lists. I was initially confused by Dave C. posting to say that thus-and-such was off-topic, especially because I didn't quite agree with his definition of the topic. But that was before I noticed the cc: and figured it out.

There are some cases where cross-posting is useful, but I think it has the potential to cause confusion and strife as well. The most likely result is disjointed, confusing conversations. It's also possible for people to post something way off-topic for one list or the other, even if the original cross-post they are replying to is suitable for both. Also, not all replies will be seen by all participants, since you have to be a member of both to post to both.

I think it would be best if we limit cross-posting to certain conditions, such as:
- Cross-posted message is suitable for both lists
- Make it clear that the message is being cross-posted at the top of the body - Decide where any followups should go - one list or the other, not both - and say so for the benefit of people replying - Cross-posting is better for announcements, not so great for ongoing discussion - Most of the time you can achieve the same result with less confusion and misdirected/inappropriate replies by just posting twice -- once to one list and again separately to the next.

Comments? I'm not quite sure why/when people will want to cross-post so if I'm missing something let me know. OK to reply on this list or to me privately, either way is fine.

gregc