Re: Re: What to do about the SPF-classic I-D?

2004-12-04 12:16:12

If the first priority is to get it right, and anything else is
below this second priority, i'd agree.

Yeah, getting it right has to be first.  However, I think what csm and
PHB have been talking about is that it may well be more productive to
get SPF accepted as a standard by some other organization, possibly
one we create, than it is to get SPF accepted as an RFC via the IETF.

I would agree with this. I think the only thing we need IETF for at this point is to get an RR type allocated to our "experimental" uses. I think that requires some draft (any draft) and it's probably not necessary to get it approved as a full-on RFC. I think even some of the earlier 2004 SPF drafts would be suitable for showing that "We have an experimental protocol and we would like to continue with real world testing" :)

Getting an rr type allocated is not the most urgent thing we can do either. It just takes a long time so we should get the ball rolling whenever we can...