Re: Re: spf-statement-on-SenderID

2004-12-12 22:01:32
Here's an idea:

Forget about it!  Take it all out.  Don't mention it at all.

If anything, just say

"Microsoft SENDERID uses SPF technology. See Microsoft Web Site."

period.

All you guys are doing are creating more of a mess with concepts you
shouldn't be involved with in the first place.

Look. We (my company) decided a long time ago we will not incorporate
SenderID.   I know SENDMAIL and AOL has decided to support it, but it
doesn't make them right.  I know they made a stupid decision and I am going
to jump just because they decided to support it.  Besides the marketing
value they feel is gained with advertised SenderID support,   I strongly
believe any SMTP vendor who supports it only putting their customers at risk
and quite frankly,  it puts companies with products like WCSMTP on the map
because we are already telling our customers why we will not support it.

This news is getting out and I believe this coming week, I'm scheduled for
some Internet Radio Interview to discuss how we addressed the spoofing
problem.  If its brought up,  I don't think I will be able to avoid
mentioning how and why I feel SenderID is flawed.

If the interview should ask:

"Yet Hector, it is said SPF 2.0 will incorporate SenderID?  Will SPF 2.0 be
supported then?"

I believe I will say:

"Our system concentrates at transaction level authentication - protecting
the envelope per se.  However, 3rd party developers can add programmable
DATA point hooks to add additional SPF 2.0 support or if they choose,
perform the task in a POST SMTP manner. In either case,  it is outside the
scope of what we offer and we will not do it for reasons explained which
include product liability reasons.  SMTP will need to change with a HEAD
concept in order to support SenderID. Until that happens, we will not
support SPF 2.0 if it attempts to enforce SenderID support.  We have not
been wrong yet with our designs and in this case, I strongly believe it is
mistake for a SMTP vendor to add SenderID."

Sorry, but that is how I feel about it.  Don't mean much to Meng. I know
that.  But I'm confidence enough to know when that if its walks like a duck,
looks like a duck, smells like a duck, the odds are good its a duck.

You can't have it both ways.  Either you support it 100% and do your best to
make it work with no bashing (concerns yes, but no bashing).  Or don't
mention it at all because as it is now, its has many issues, it is not going
to work well and if you are worry about getting a bad rap - well, you
already have by continuing to promote it just by talking about it.

Did I even mention the bad pr and will developed with the open source
citizens and community?

Recommendation:

R&D on a improved backward compatible language.    Get the HELO issue
cleaned up. Get RID of the relaxed provision or strongly urge against its
usage. Put the R&D efforts to address the Forwarding Problem or offer the
current integration solutions.

Anyway, that's my take.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO