Re: Security Wire Perspectives mentions SenderID

2004-12-13 23:30:49
On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 18:15, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 04:15:53PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
| http://www.postini.com/whitepapers/SenderID.pdf

Seems to boil down to
Thanks to both Meng and Scott for looking into it.

1) Everybody knows that for this stuff to work, we need
   reputation systems.  So we'll ignore that, and say it
   won't work.
OK thats why I'm interested in http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/ .
I am thinking about what needs to be done to add the real p2p stuff into
the mix. Right now the p2p component is mostly at the planning stage.
I was actually going to wait before I said most of the stuff in this
email. I'm planning on coordinating some of the introductions of peers
based some-what on geo-location to nearby internet hot-spots or hubs.
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php is a real-rough
example of a php script that can help you find nearby hubs.
I used an paper based atlas and http://www.cybergeography.org/ to
fill-in information for about 150 cities. Yes I know network topology
doesn't follow geo-boundaries perfectly, but it should be a good
starting guess.
Also yes I know that I will need mix of short and medium hops to make
sure everyone is connected. There are also other issues that need to be
handled.

2) Besides, if this stuff really did work, we'd be out of a
   job.
Yeah well I always seem to keep busy. too busy at times ;->

3) The only thing that does work is our patented *mumble*
   technology.
Well my tech is not patented, actually Mark Langston gets all the real
thanks at this time. And it will need to play well with other tricks in
the trade like spf and others.

4) Buy our product.  Operators are standing by.
I also don't have anything to sell you. However If you wish to help here
are a few ideas of what you could do:
1) tell me if the logo is OK. If you don't like it offer a replacement.
   http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/gossip_icon.png is just a
   icon from openclipart with minor alterations.
2) Tell me if my list of initial hotspots is at least kind of sane
   for your part of the world. Use the closest city of the ones below
   to start looking.
San Franciso CA US
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=37.71&lon=-122.4
New York NY US
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=40.7&lon=-74
London UK
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=51&lon=-0.1
Rio de Janeiro
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=-22.9&lon=-43
Lagos Nigeria
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=6&lon=4
Cairo Egypt
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=30&lon=31
Xian CN
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=34&lon=109
Jakarta
http://gossip-project.sourceforge.net/closest.php?lat=-6&lon=106

  The center square consists of the closest locations.
  Upper-left is North-West .... Bottom-right is South-east.

3) When things are ready, be a part of the gossip testbed.
   I will likely be busy over the holidays. I also need to do
   various groundwork stuff, but hopefully I can take a few
   applications by mid January, and have a few test sites
   talking to each other by the end of February. [[Cross my fingers]]

--
http://dmoz.org/profiles/pollei.html
http://sourceforge.net/users/stephen_pollei/

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf