Re: Architectural issues with the SPF specification

2005-01-09 21:43:20
"Julian" == Julian Mehnle
"RE: Architectural issues with the SPF specification"
 Thu, 6 Jan 2005 01:01:10 +0100

    Julian> 195.30.85.225 has many names, probably more than 100,
    Julian> including "io.mehnle.net", "mail.mehnle.net", and
    Julian> "mehnle.net".  I don't see a problem here.  Do you?

I would be inclined to use "mehnle.net" as the collective without an A
RR and the others as synonyms for a particular host with an A RR and
CNAME RRs or multiple A RRs or both.

    >> [...]  I only wanted to suggest _not to encourage_ the
    >> overloading, not to go hammer and tongs on a crusade against
    >> it.

    Julian> What overloading?  Sorry if I'm being stupid.

A formal definition from Object Oriented programming is often given as
something like:

        Multiple definitions of an object operation. Different input
        arguments (signatures) requesting the same operation name
        (message type) cause different methods (functions) to be
        invoked.

By extension or slang the term _overloading_ is used to indicate an
ambiguous use of a name, word, label, or some such.  Also I think that
in shell scripting, something like

        cat=~/bin/my-super-cat

might be referred to as overloading.

I'm sorry if my usage has been abstruse.

        jam