Re[2]: Is anyone else getting DoS'd by relay attacks?

2005-01-12 12:58:12
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Chris Drake wrote:

I don't see how SES might help here, btw: nothing I can do is going
to prevent these dumb MTAs from spewing their backscatter at me - at
least I already know it's all spam (my envelope senders are custom
and unique; no DSN's ever arrive to any normal user address)

Then you are doing SES.  That is the core principal:
ensuring that envelope senders are custom and unique, and that no
(legitimate) DSN's ever arrive to any normal user address.

The SES project is simply working on improved replay protection -
the weakest point of SES - so that SES can be used for authentication
as well as blocking backscatter.  (If a spammer gets one of your
unique envelope senders, it only lets them spam you - not worth the
effort since they need to spam millions.  BUT, if they get a unique sender
used for authentication, they can use it to forge mail that passes
the authentication - without some form of replay protection.

As for rules: if the incoming envelope sender is <> and the RCPT TO:
doesn't exist; it's a backscatter problem for sure: there's no doubt a
simple way to add to the sendmail.cf and/or sendmail.mc files to
produce a custom 5xx error for these; sorry I'm too busy to figure it
out for you's!

I detect this in my sendmail milter (http://bmsi.com/python/milter.html)
and issue this DSN:

    self.setreply('550','5.7.1',
    "I did not send you that message. Please consider implementing SPF",
    "(http://spf.pobox.com) to avoid bouncing mail to spoofed senders.",
    "Thank you."
    )

Detection is somewhat involved.  If you don't want to provide free dictionary
search to spammers, then you don't want to REJECT immediately on
RCPT TO for normal recipients.  I set a flag and REJECT after SMTP DATA
for backscatter.  Not ideal, but workable.