Re: Is anyone else getting DoS'd by relay attacks?

2005-01-14 11:20:35
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

  MAIL FROM: <>
  RCPT TO: <a(_at_)your(_dot_)domain> ; this a isn't a signed envelope sender
or so
  RCPT TO: <b(_at_)your(_dot_)domain> ; b *is* and the signature is valid

This is illegal for a DSN, and I immediately reject as soon as the
second rcpt is seen for a DSN.

Local usernames? They can be dictionary scanned by using a non-empty
MAIL FROM which is SPF unknown or pass, so you don't gain anything
from not exposing them (by using a different 5xx reply than if the
user wouldn't exist at all) if MAIL FROM is empty.

Good point.  I was following recommended practice for SES with CBV, but maybe
it is out of date.  I'll go back and review to make sure.