Re: Setting a 2821 MAIL FROM different from the 2822 From: with Outlook

2005-01-14 06:10:29
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

A very convenient way to roam around an ideal SPF world, where
everyone publishes SPF records, is simply to set a RFC 2821 MAIL FROM
(aka Return Path) which reflects your current location, while keeping
the RFC 2822 From: to mean the identity you care about. [This is what
I do presently: while at home, I use my work address.]

This technique is very rarely presented by SPF people and I assume it
is because typical end-user MUAs such as Outlook do not allow you to
do so. When you define an email address, it is used both for RFC 2821
MAIL FROM (aka Return Path) and for RFC 2822 From:

It would be a serious improvment for SPF if there were a simple way to
differentiate the two identities. With Unix and a MTA on my machine,
it is trivial and works perfectly, without any cooperation from the
domains I use (no need to set up anything on port 587).

Any Windows guru around to find a way?

Well, I am not a windows guru, but I personally have used the reply-to
address before, so the 2821 and 2822 is where I really am and the reply-to
is, well, where I want the reply to go to...  :)

Terry

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax (416) 441-9085