Re: SPF icon

2005-01-14 05:31:45
 "william(at)elan.net" commented:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Michel Py wrote:

Julian Mehnle wrote:
The icon was attached to my message.  But as someone
requested the icon in another format, I have uploaded
the ICO file and two PNG versions:
http://www.mehnle.net/software/spf/

You should not be using .PNG files: they have a rendering issue with
Internet Explorer when transparency is being used (if you try to pub
them on a non-white background). I know, IE sucks nevertheless it's 80%
of the browser market. You should use .GIF.

Apparently GIF format is patented.
Since patents are evil we should not be using GIF.

My understanding is:

1) The patent/licence applied only to the encoding of GIF, not to its decoding
2) It was for the drawing package vendor (Coral etc.) to apply for a licence
3) The Unisys patent is reported to have expired in the US, Canada and EU

See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Usual IANAL proviso applies.

Chris Haynes