RE: Zonecuts specified in SPF draft

2005-01-14 14:04:13
Alex van den Bogaerdt [alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net] wrote:
On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:24:15PM +0100, Julian Mehnle wrote:
[There are zero SOA records] ...in the answer section.  But there is
one in the authority section.  Does that make a relevant difference?

Q: What is the SOA record for ...
A: There is no SOA record for ...
   this information comes from zone ... with soa record ...

vs.

Q: What is the SOA record for ...
A: This is the SOA record for ...

Well, there _is_ no SOA record for "www.verisign.net.", so of course none
is returned in the answer section.  There's nothing we can do about that.

It may not make a difference for the amount of data but it
certainly makes a difference for the code to process it.

Besides, we don't want the SOA record.  We need the SPF record
at the start of the zone and for this we need to know where the
SOA record is placed so that we can find its name servers.

It is the domain we want, not the soa record.

| io:~> dig www.verisign.net SOA +multiline
|
| ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.verisign.net SOA +multiline
| ;; global options:  printcmd
| ;; Got answer:
| ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 59984
| ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
|
| ;; QUESTION SECTION:
| ;www.verisign.net.      IN SOA
|
| ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
| verisign.net.           695 IN SOA bay-w1-inf5.verisign.net.
vshostmaster.verisign.com. (
|                                 2005011301 ; serial
|                                 10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
|                                 3600       ; retry (1 hour)
|                                 604800     ; expire (1 week)
|                                 3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
|                                 )

But the information you want is right there!  According to the authority
section, the SOA record is placed, and the zone starts, at
"verisign.net.".