SpamCop recommends SPF (and/or DomainKeys)

2005-01-26 15:56:13
Hi all,

SpamCop[1] now officially recommends[2] the use of SPF and/or DomainKeys
for combating the misdirected auto-responders/bounces problem.

There are a few details that are especially notable:

| If the SPF record is too broad, use only the explicitly listed IP ranges
| or mx fields.

I am currently working on a proposal for how the broadness of SPF records
can be measured and used as a confidence criterion.  I am going to
introduce it here within the next two weeks.

| SPF is much more widely used, but Domain Keys is more reliable and
| error-proof. Most senders who use Domain Keys also use SPF (there is no
| disadvantage to using both). In short, implementing SPF checking will
| give you the most benefit with the least effort.

We need to work on the public perception of SPF being unreliable or
error-prone.