Re: the state of the web site updates and some discussion

2005-02-26 09:52:56
Chuck Mead wrote:
| I believe the core issue to be resolved is maintainability. When you
| have one person in charge of the updates, you get what we have now.
|
| Wiki's can also be private, with a closed membership that is allowed to
| make changes. Perhaps this idea should not be hastily ignored.

That's fine... and I *DO* get what you are saying. But this is not the
only way to allow more than one person to work on the web site. A number
of CMS's allow this and present information in a more integrated way.
Perhaps Wiki could be used for pieces of the site... maybe the FAQ or
something perhaps...?

Personally, I'm not partial to any one system, and I'm not familiar with the options either, but if you are, could you suggest a list of solutions that would be worth considering?

Before selecting one solution, I also think we should list the criteria for selection, in order of importance. IMHO, the list of criteria is:

1. Maintainability. Several group members can edit content.

2. A "last updated on ... " must be shown on the page, so one can assess
   how current/stale the content might be.

3. Security. The website cannot be easily hijacked.

4. Users should be able to annotate content, perhaps under moderator
   control (like mysql.com/documentation).

5. It should not be a chore to make updates.

I frequent the mysql.com and php.net annotated documentation, and the annotated documentation, and that presentation is extremely well thought and useful, I think.

Greetings,
Radu.