RE: SPF and SIP

2005-03-20 07:59:46
Julian Lawrence wrote:
Hi,

Possibly another naive question but has any thought been given to how
SPF
will apply to the use of SRV type DNS records by SIP servers for VoIP.

My phone number will be 12345(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com

It seems that at some time in the not too distant future my SIP server
will
be subject to Spam in a similar way to my mail server now.

I can't find any reference to how the designers / builders of SIP
servers
are addressing the potential problem.

MZR wrote
I am not sure why you are relating SPF with SIP, but this might help
you:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-01.txt

There are other talks and proposed solutions. Just search in google for
"spam over internet telephony", also know as SPIT.

thanks, I should have known it was complicated.

I'm relating e-mail and SIP because they both use
"?????(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com". SPF
checks mydomain.com against the IP Address the message is sent from. If
email has a problem which SPF resolves so probably does SIP. The basic
problem of corelating domain and IP address is present, regardless of how
many layers of protocol we put on top.

The prospect of someone/a machine ringing my phone at 3am and me not being
able to identify / block the origin fills me with horror. Much more invasive
to me than spam.

I couldn't find anything in the draft or googling which suggested there
wouldn't be a problem. At present the VoIP providers are operating in
islands as they compete for accounts so its not particularly visible.
Rhetorical question - what will happen when SIP servers and VoIP become as
ubiquitous as mail servers? I've just installed one for my domain.

The answer looks like SIP doesn't really know it has a problem or that
there's a possible solution,

Julian

Julian