Council Election Period (was: Open letter to the SPF Council)

2005-04-28 04:24:14
Hi all.

Wayne Schlitt wrote:
Frank Ellermann wrote:
But OTOH that was probalbly the last meeting of the Council
before the six months of its initial mandate end.

Good point.  It may be time to do something about that.

I wonder from where you take the election period being 6 months.  Seriously, I
wonder.  I know Wayne said he would probably resign
after 6 months (which I don't hope he'll do).  But I always thought the council
was to, by itself, formally decide on the length of
the council election period.

I researched the spf-discuss list archives, and this is what I could find:

William conducted a poll on the organization of the council, including a
question about the length of the council's initial term:
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200411/0533.html
| 3. If elections for the council are carried out without any formally
|    approved rules, how long should the council function?
|    Answers:
|      a. Until the new SPF charter and rules are approved by the
|         community
|      b. For 6 months no matter what
|      c. For 1 year no matter what
|      d. For 2 years no matter what
|      e. The elections should not be carried out at all if there
|         are no approved rules on how long SPF council will serve.

Unfortunately, no clear or rough consensus in this regard is visible from the
replies to William's poll.

Later, William Leibzon suggested voting procedures, including a note about the
council's initial term:
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200411/0610.html
| 9. Initial council has no defined term but must come up with new
|    election procedures and define its function and term (it SHOULD then
|    call for new elections once this has all been approved or it MAY
|    specifically make the poll and ask people on spf-discuss to confirm
|    that existing council can serve reminder of the term)

Although this certainly cannot be considered "official" (in the sense of "What
caused the big bang?"), it went essentially
undisputed.

I think the council should make a formal decision about the council's election
period at the next council meeting.

Julian,
SPF Council Member.