SUBMITTER patented ?? was For SPF council review: NOT RECOMMENDED

2005-05-10 10:30:56
At 11:33 PM 5/9/2005 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of David
MacQuigg

<wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> writes:

>> > In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)62(_dot_)0505090119450(_dot_)26914(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>

>> > I like that.  Along with the changes suggested by Julian (and others),
>> > it now reads:
>> >

>>Julian and I talked this over on the #spf IRC channel, and came up
>>with this paragraph:
>>
>>           Without explicit approval of the record owner, checking other
>>           identities against SPF version 1 records is NOT RECOMMENDED
>>           because there are cases that are known to give incorrect
>>           results.  For example, most mailing lists rewrite the "MAIL
>>           FROM" identity (see <xref target="mailing-lists"/>), but
>>           some do not change any other identities in the message.  The
>>           scenario described in <xref target="forwarding"/>.1.2 is
>>           another example.  Documents that define other identities
>>           should define the method for explicit approval.
>>

>>As an alternative, we discussed defining an additional-scopes= modifier
>>to say which scopes, besides the implicit MAIL FROM and HELO scopes,
>>should be approved by the domain owner.  In the end, we decided that
>>kicking the problem of defining "explicit approval" off on others to
>>be simpler and less constraining.
>>

>>Comments welcome.
>
>I like this.  Seems like it would also nicely handle
>SUBMITTER=<domain-name>.

Or it wouldn't.  At this point you're talking about something other than SPF
classic.

Let's say Mail From is a FAIL and Submitter is a PASS?  What do I do?  This
is beyond the scope of SPF Classic.

I may be interpreting SUBMITTER wrong, but to me it is an explicit declaration of the sender's Identity (the one that matches the sender's IP). I would use that Identity and none other. We probably need a different keyword here, something like ID= that has no previous association with a particular method.

Keep this in mind for the future, but tell me this (assuming you are talking
about the MS Submitter that is part of the anti-forgery technology formerly
known as Sender ID), how do I deal with Submitter without having to sign the
MS license for PRA?  There's the rub.

As for using the Identity declared in SUBMITTER=, that shouldn't require any license. I think you only need a license if you want to implement the PRA algorithm. If you treat the declared Identity as simply a domain name to be authenticated against an IP address, you can use SPF or whatever method you like.

--
Dave