Re: MUST SPF checking be done during SMTP time?

2005-05-15 10:18:21
In <200505151738(_dot_)29558(_dot_)bulk(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<bulk(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

Julian Mehnle wrote:
Wayne Schlitt suggested:
|    This authorization check SHOULD be performed during the processing of
|    the SMTP transaction that sends the mail.  This allows errors to be
|    returned directly to the sending server by way of SMTP replies.
|
|    Performing the authorization after the corresponding SMTP transaction
|    has completed faces problems, such as: 1) It may be difficult to
|    accurately extract the required information from potentially
|    deceptive headers. 2) If the email is forged and the authorization
|    fails, then generating a non-delivery notification to the alleged
|    sender is abusive and is against their explicit wishes.

Re 1: some systems supply the relevant identities through environment
variables, which _is_ accurate.  Thus I'd just say ""

point 1 does not say that it is *always* hard to extract accurate
information, only that it *may* be hard.  I think point 1 remains valid.

Re 2: [snip]
This is not a matter of when SPF checks are performed.  Instead we should
_generally_ recommend, outside this particular paragraph, against sending
automatic messages to sender identities that have not been authenticated
(through SPFv1 or other means).

I guess I could agree with that.

I propose:

   [snip]

You posted your proposal while I was still researching and writing an
message on how to deal with sender policy transitions.  Your proposed
wording places most of the burden of a transition on the SPF checker,
which would be "option 3" under my list of ways to deal with this.  In
my post, I outline somthing for "option 5" (equal burden).

I'm interested in hearing about which option people think is best.

-wayne