Re: Re: MUST SPF checking be done during SMTP time?

2005-05-14 12:20:33
"Frank Ellermann" opined:

Chris Haynes wrote:

The SPF policy (the IP addresses it identifies), is
time-sensitive.

DNS TTLs make this somewhat fuzzy whatever the SPF spec. says.

<snip>

I don't agree. The TTL is entirely under the control of the publisher (a.k.a. DNS admin.). By supplying a non-zero TTL the publisher is declaring the timespan during which the policy is valid. No fuzziness there.

If a publisher needs to change a policy at a specific time, he can wind-down the TTLs beforehand so that - at the cross-over time there should be no cached (previous) versions anywhere.

The fact that, in practice, many people are not going to be quite so precise/fussy about how / when they change the SPF policy does not alter the need to make the point that the IP and the policy valid at this same time (even if it has been cached - so long as its within its TTL) should be used as a 'matched pair'.

BTW, this rule I suggest does not mean that the actual SPF testing cannot be delayed until after SMTP-time; so long as the policy is read and stored during the 'transaction', it would be logically acceptable to undertake the actual test at a later stage, post-SMTP. The words in my previous post were chosen very carefully to reflect this.

Chris