Re: For SPF Council review - PASS Definition - was: People keep misunderstanding what "Pass" and "Neutral" mean

2005-05-17 20:53:25
Sorry for lack of quoting.... seems like quite a tangle indeed! Is there a decent reference to what scenarios result in these various statuses? I think I've got a good grasp of PASS, FAIL, and NONE. But I'm not as clear what leads to NEUTRAL or SOFTFAIL.

But, to me, in much plainer English than I've been reading so far (wow), this what these terms mean to me:

  NONE       No advice
  NEUTRAL    Can't say, but I had a lead (e.g. include failed)
  SOFTFAIL   <<no idea on this one>>
  FAIL       Shred it now... don't open it.
  PASS       We'll vouch for it, but follow best practices anyway.

From my standpoint SPF is much like the other scans we put mail through. We scan for negative results, not positive. And to me, the only two statuses that seem to be able to assert anything in the affirmative are FAIL and *possibly* SOFTFAIL. The rest give some assurance, but aren't the final word on the subject... which is probably why there's so much difficulty pinning down the meaning. In the end SPF will not eliminate the need for other checks, but strives to give us another tool in the battle.

Anyway... that's just my $0.02.

Bill