Re: For SPF Council review - PASS Definition - was: People keep misunderstanding what "Pass" and "Neutral" mean

2005-05-18 09:33:53
On Wed, 18 May 2005, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

As I have proved above, this cannot hold.  Therefore there's
something wrong with the line of reasoning.  And there is; way
too much weight is put into this authentication statement.  If
you want strong authentication, USE strong authentication.

There seems to be a disconnect on the meanings of the words
"authentic" and "authorized".  I don't really care what they
mean, I was molding their meaning to what I gathered from
a previous post.  At this point, I'm convinced that there will
never be a consensus on the meaning of those words, and it is
time to find some different ones.

Now, I will remold the meaning of "authentic" and "authorized"
to fit your post - and I find that I agree with you!  Just as
I agreed with the other post.  This reminds my of Catholic/Protestant
debates.  Now I will attempt to find some subsitute words.

FAIL                - not authorized and definitely not authentic

definitely not authorized and probably not authentic
(this is almost the reverse of what you have!)

"not authorized" here seems to mean "explicitly prohibited".

PASS                - authorized and authentic to the best of our ability

Authorized thus reasonably confident it is authentic.  Complain
to me if this host's keeper doesn't do its job, I will take action
and stake my reputation on it.  Occasionally sh*t will happen but
I will make every effort to correct the situation.

"Authorized" here seems to mean "the domain owner takes responsibility for it".
"Authentic" is vaguely hinted to mean "not forged" - but the meaning
is still unclear.  Perhaps "official"?

Ok, let's try with "not prohibited" and "official" instead

FAIL    - explicitly prohibited by the domain owner
NEUTRAL - not prohibited by the domain owner
PASS    - officially approved by the domain owner
SOFTFAIL- prohibited, but be lenient