Re: For SPF Council review - PASS Definition - was: People keep misunderstanding what "Pass" and "Neutral" mean

2005-05-18 17:09:54
On Thu, 19 May 2005, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

PASS:     We do trust this IP not to send forgeries (and do use it)
NEUTRAL:  We don't trust this IP but it is allowed to use our name
SOFTFAIL: We don't trust this IP but some of us may (still) be
          using it by mistake. Please give us some slack and do
          notify us of any usage if you like
FAIL:     We don't trust nor use this IP. Please don't bother us
          with DSNs, auto-replies, vacation messages and the like.

I really like that.  It avoids the problematic words (authorize,authentic),
and makes it crystal clear.  The auth words have specific technical
meanings in cryptography, and since SPF is not a cryptographic
system, avoiding them avoids confusion.

Don't start arguing about the meaning of 'trust'.
No semantic mapping is every perfect, and peoples idea of 'trust'
is going to differ, but I think this wording will result in a
reasonable mapping for almost everyone.

Random thought:
Interestingly, the word 'trust' is also important for mapping arguments
about the meaning of 'faith' in Catholic/Protestant debates.