New SPFv1 spec: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre7

2005-05-17 22:02:31

I realize it has only been a few days since I released the -01pre6
version, but I am releasing the -01pre7 version now so that we have a
clean slate for the Wednesday SPF council meeting.

My plans for the I-D are as follows:

After Wednesday's SPF council meeting, I will encorporate all of the
changes that were ruled on.

Once I feel the draft is ready, I will contact Ted Hardie and Scott
Hollenbeck to make sure that submitting a new draft to the IETF will
not interfere with the IETF process.  (This was suggested to me
tonight by Andy Newton.)

Once I get the go-ahead to submit a new draft, I will.

Once the draft shows up on the IETF website, I will put out a pseudo
last call to the IETF mailing lists (namedroppers, ietf-smtp, and
ietf-822), here, and maybe a few other places.

I will again collect changes for about two weeks, but I will probably
resist making more than editorial changes.

When the pseudo last call is finished, I will submit a final draft to
the IETF and request a standard track review.  I'm not sure what
happens next, but if we are allowed to go with a standard track, I
think we have to have a 4 week real last call, along with an IESG
review and such.  Then it goes off the the RFC editor who will confirm
just how bad my English is.

Basically, people who haven't spoken up in the last several months
since the -00 draft was released have almost run out of time.

The drafts are in the same place as last time:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre7.html
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre7.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre7.nr
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre7.xml

A diff and a wdiff between this version and the previous version
(-01pre6) can be found at:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/changes_from_draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre6.xml.diff.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/changes_from_draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre6.xml.wdiff.txt

Changes from -01pre6:

* A section with notes to the IETF/RFC-editor has been added.  This
  will be removed when the I-D becomes an RFC.

* A note has been added that when changing SPF records, there needs to
  be a transitional period to prevent incorrect results.

* The language about doing the SPF checking during the SMTP session
  has been moved from section 2.4 "Checking Authorization" to section
  2.5 "Interpreting the Result".  The latter section already had some
  text on the same subject and it is were all the SMTP response codes
  are listed.

* A note about the problems with treating "Neutral" more harshly than
  "None" was added.

* Various spelling/grammatical errors fixed.

* A change log from -00 was added to aid in the pseudo last call
  review.

-wayne