BTFOOM (was: SPF-council IRC logs for 2005-05-18)

2005-05-19 00:46:40
Minor stuff from my POV:

 [22:08]
<MarkK> wayne: 'softfail' is the result of a policy decision;
        PermError is really a permant type of error, that really
        should be met with 5.x.x codes.

+1 (but see below)

 [22:11]
<MarkK> currently I think implementation send 5.x.x codes on
        PermErrors

+2 (it's just the idea of Wayne's "validating implementation")

 [22:34]
| <Julian> "None" means something completely different than
         SPF(nonsense-of-some-sort) should mean.

-1 (NONE means "found no sender policy for whatever.example")

 [22:45]
<grumpy> Whee!

Drum roll, "NOT RECOMMENDED" stands.  IMNSHO this limits the
folks with the right to discuss it any further to the IESG.

 [23:12]
<Julian> "will [...] shoot it down"? Does that mean everyone
         in the IETF has veto powers?

No, it's almost the same idea as SPF Community vs. SPF Council.

 {23:14]
<Julian> Motion: The SPFv1 specification shall long for IETF
         Proposed Standard status.
 [...]
 [23:16]
<Julian> Weee!

"Keine Atempause, Geschichte wird gemacht, es geht voran," ;->
<http://purl.net/net/de2en/fehlfarben.lyrics-online.net/EinJahr.html>

 {23:20]
<csm> I dunno what the issue is... can somebody give me the 10
      cent version?

Screwing up v=spf1 beyond repair.  You owe me 10 Euro cents.

 [23:23]
<MarkK> The point is rather moot, I think, as NXDOMAIN in
        MAIL FROM is likely already weeded out by the MTA
        before SPF gets a o at it

+3 (but see below, don't forget literals, localhost, etc.)

 [23:26]
<csm> but a PermError when there is no such domain?
<csm> come on...

+1 (soon to get all of Mark's bases)

 [23:26]
<MarkK> I can find a rationale for PermError; but I can live
        with 'none'

-0 (Mark's bases ready to be trasferred...)

 [22:32]
<Julian> Re PermError: usually it does NOT mean "let it pass".
         I doubt that many receivers do not reject on
         "PermError".
<Julian> Especially since PermError has long been
         recommending exactly that, a 5xx SMTP reply code.

Especially since PermError generally means "SPF policy FUBAR"
and not "I hate domain literals" or "WTF is mybox.apple.local"

 [23:34]
<MarkK> grumpy: I think the vast majory will reject with 5.x
        errors

That might be STD 10 / 2821, but not "SENDER policy framework".

 [23:38]
<grumpy> 2338:u no
<Julian> 2337u: yes
<csm>    2337u: no
<MarkK>  2338u: yes
<csm>    muahahahahahaha

TILT.  MarkK tilted the Council flipper.  In theory you're
supposed to reflect the Community will, not to play flipper.

 [23:41]
<csm> an error is a broken record...

Of course it is.  All of Mark's bases transferred to Chuck.
10 Euro cents debt cancelled.

 [23:44]
<grumpy> "sign", however, is a bad name

Still the best idea after "prefix" was sent to lala-land.

 [23:46]
<Julian> Anything that's semantically descriptive is fine
         with me.  That includes "result" and "match-result",
         although the latter is not very elegant.

While "result" is elegant, it's a term in the Receive-SPF ABNF
with values like "Pass", "Fail", etc., but not "+", "-", etc.

Overloading terms in a spec. is an odd idea, stick to "sign",
or try "result-prefix" <shudder />

                       Bye, Frank