Re: internet draft: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01.txt

2005-05-20 01:11:50
wayne wrote:

I have felt it best to send what I have off to the IETF
anyway.

Great, thanks.  I wouldn't fear that the IESG is over-zealous
to review an I-D without request, but better safe than sorry.

A large number of gramatical errors and typos were fixed due
to the review of a friend of mine, Chris Radek.

Please forward my thanks, looking into the diff that's a real
improvement.

* Minor updates as requested by the SPF council.

I don't get the new PermError = Softfail => 4xx logic, should
the sender simply try again without first fixing his policy ?
That could delay the bounce for up to four days, doesn't it ?

BTW, my [Discuss] on archaic source routes had nothing at all
to do with a PermError for these constructs.

Actually I think it's a non-issue, the syntax for a Return-Path
is 100% clear, for MAIL FROM it's almost identical (optionally
some ESMTP stuff after the closing ">")

MAIL FROM:<@foo.com:relay!Jones%my(_dot_)box(_dot_)example(_at_)XYZ(_dot_)COM>

1 - strip "MAIL FROM:<"

@foo.com:relay!Jones%my(_dot_)box(_dot_)example(_at_)XYZ(_dot_)COM>

2 - strip @-source route stuff (MUST accept, SHOULD ignore),
    if anything at all it starts with "@" and ends with ":"

relay!Jones%my(_dot_)box(_dot_)example(_at_)XYZ(_dot_)COM>

3 - find end of local part, an "@" excl. any quoted "@"

relay!Jones%my.box.example@
XYZ.COM>

4 - get rid of ">" after FQDN, pass the stuff to checkhost()

relay!Jones%my(_dot_)box(_dot_)example(_at_)XYZ(_dot_)COM

5 - don't even think about what "!" or "%" might be.  And my
    [Discuss] was about mentioning this point (5) at all in
    the draft, not about handling it as error.  It was also
    about mentioning (5) _together_ with (2) as "archaic" near
    to "optional".

No big deal, but I wanted to clarify this, reading the IRC log
I got the impression that it wasn't absolutely clear, that (5)
is not only archaic but irrelevant, while (2) is a simple MUST.

                        Bye, Frank