Is the ID command hearsay ?

2005-05-20 13:54:54
Does it require some new authentication method, or can we trust it to really be the sending MTA's Declaration of Identity?

A discussion on the proposed ID command, and the possibilities of its abuse.

At 01:24 PM 5/20/2005 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

> We have enough authentication methods already.

Then what's to prevent me from saying:

ID BillGates.microsoft.com

Assuming this is a legitimate domain with an authorized Public Mail Server, you will not have access to its authentication records. These records will not authorize your mail server.

Assuming it is a spammer domain, with a complete set of DNS records authorizing everything, it will quickly get a D rating (known spamming domain), as soon as you send the first few phishing scams.

Any identity is hearsay until there is some protocol for verifying it.
The point of SPF is to move the MAIL FROM identity from hearsay to
something that can be verified (the HELO identity can already be
verified using the A record, but SPF offers some additional options).

Nothing in the ID command is hearsay. You didn't get the information from someone else. You can't claim that using someone else's ID was an innocent mistake. It isn't some Return-Path that blew in from China. It isn't some HELO name that nobody has ever paid attention to. It is a name with a new and specific purpose, a purpose so clear that even a dummy can't innocently screw it up. When you put an ID command in your SMTP session, you are saying - This is my Public Mail Serving ID, and I accept responsibility for this mail transfer session.

I like the analogy someone brought up a while back. A stranger arrives at the border with a bundle of IDs, friends, family, etc, maybe even a few from another stranger who asked him to carry them across the border. The guard has to check every one, and there is a legitimate excuse for every failure.

With an ID command, the border guard says - Give me an ID that authorizes you to cross this border!! Present a false ID, and you are in trouble.

Please give your next response some thought. I feel like we are very close to a resolution of this question, and I don't want the discussion to degenerate into noise. I'm not saying you would do that, but I have been frustrated in similar discussions when people generate noise rather than re-consider some firmly-held belief.

--
Dave