Can the ID command be trusted ?

2005-05-21 09:38:46
I gave what I thought was a simple valid answer to this question, and the answer was ignored. Here is a second simple answer to the question. Sorry to be a pain, but this is an important question, raised by several people, and we never seem to get to a conclusion. I suspect we will not reach a conclusion here, but I would like to get at least a clear summary of the objection so that I can include it with the draft when it goes to the IESG. I cannot write this summary myself, because quite honestly, I don't understand the objection.

To recall the context, we are talking about an incoming email that looks like this:

   EHLO  mailserver7.bigforwarder.com
   ID  bigforwarder.com
   MAIL FROM:<bob(_at_)sales(_dot_)some-company(_dot_)com>

Then what's to prevent a forger from saying:

ID BillGates.microsoft.com

Any identity is insecure until there is some protocol for verifying it.

Every IP-authentication method has the problem what to do about forwarders. We need an ID that can be used to authenticate each forwarder, but SMTP has no such parameter. Different methods have solved this problem in different ways.

Sender ID has added a SUBMITTER parameter:
MAIL FROM:<bob(_at_)sales(_dot_)some-company(_dot_)com>
SUBMITTER=bigforwarder.com

SPF uses SRS to "rewrite" the MAIL FROM command:
MAIL FROM:<bob#sales(_dot_)some-company(_dot_)com(_at_)bigforwarder(_dot_)com>

Neither of these can serve as a neutral ID declaration, due to restrictions in each specification. SUBMITTER must be used with Sender ID and SRS must be used with SPF.

All information in SMTP commands can be forged. Any ID must be authenticated, whether it is provided as a SUBMITTER value, embedded in the MAIL FROM command, or provided in a separate command. There is no difference in the security of one syntax versus another.

It is the ID owner's responsibility to provide DNS authentication records appropriate for its chosen authentication methods. If SUBMITTER is to be supported, then Sender ID records must be provided. If SRS is to be supported, then SPF records must be provided. If the ID command is to be supported, then records must be provided for at least one method the receiver has installed. The ID command provides the same information as the alternatives, but without the restriction that it must be used with only one authentication method.

For example, if a query to _AUTH.<ID> (or whatever is the neutral location) shows only SPF records are provided, then the receiver must run an SPF check, using the ID as if it had been provided by the SRS syntax. If only Sender ID records are provided, then the ID must be treated as if it had been provided using the SUBMITTER syntax. If only CSV records are provided, then the EHLO identity must be checked exactly as required by that method. If records are provided supporting different methods, then the receiver may have some flexibility in choosing which method to apply.

--
Dave