Re: What to do about redirect= and NXDOMAIN?

2005-05-21 01:31:15
Commerco WebMaster wrote:

Bill,

At 06:35 PM 5/20/2005, you wrote:

Commerco WebMaster wrote:

[...]

While the above is how we tend to implement here, I am fairly sure that the spec is a bit more flexible, in that the redirect could be pointed outside one's domain zone, however, I don't immediately see cases where that should be done.

[...]

The other case I can think of is when a domain publisher has a local SMTP MTA they wish to authorize for their domain (their local SPF record covers this), and also uses their upline ISP's server as a "smarthost" or fail over server (their include covers this through their ISP's SPF record).

Actually, I do this now for hosted domains on a single MTA. I publish one SPF record on the server's domain and then redirect to that domain from all the hosted ones. For me, this also keeps the relationship clear regarding who owns the actual permission to send from that MTA, rather than distribute that amongst all the hosted domain SPF records.

Interesting. May I ask why you chose redirect as opposed to include for the above scenario?

[...]

If I am understanding properly, as a domain holder, a customer in your network might wish to use a primary and backup MTA which could be on two domain networks (possibly both operated by your company). Thus, in your environment, I would think that include would allow more flexibility for your customers.

As always, I reserve the right to be completely wrong and to learn from my errors.

Oh, my environment isn't that complex. I'm not a hosting company. I simply host multiple domains from my environment. Given that, I *know* that they will all use the same MTA, DNS, etc, etc and therefore felt redirect was a simpler and effective approach in my case.

For the situation that you describe, where a given customer might choose to leverage MTA's from different domains, I would wholeheartedly agree that include, or even a mixture of include and redirect, might be appropriate. I see this flexibility of SPF as an advantage, because it doesn't itself suggest one way of doing these kinds of implementations.

I will say that one thing that bothered me about using include in my own environment was how wishy-washy it seemed about reporting results when an error occurred. It seemed to say "well, this *might* be OK" even if a domain resolution problem occurred. But in this case I would rather get a TempError and have stuff show up in my logs as a problem. So while the basic semantics of include and redirect might have been equivalent in my case, I preferred redirect because I wanted something a little less wiggly when it came to catching real problems that might occur.

Bill