Re: What to do about redirect= and NXDOMAIN?

2005-05-20 17:35:18
Commerco WebMaster wrote:

[...]

While the above is how we tend to implement here, I am fairly sure that the spec is a bit more flexible, in that the redirect could be pointed outside one's domain zone, however, I don't immediately see cases where that should be done.

[...]

The other case I can think of is when a domain publisher has a local SMTP MTA they wish to authorize for their domain (their local SPF record covers this), and also uses their upline ISP's server as a "smarthost" or fail over server (their include covers this through their ISP's SPF record).

Actually, I do this now for hosted domains on a single MTA. I publish one SPF record on the server's domain and then redirect to that domain from all the hosted ones. For me, this also keeps the relationship clear regarding who owns the actual permission to send from that MTA, rather than distribute that amongst all the hosted domain SPF records.

Bill