Re: What to do about redirect= and NXDOMAIN?

2005-05-20 17:28:59
Julian Mehnle wrote:

Wayne Schlitt wrote:
Julian Mehnle writes:
"redirect=" should always work as if the SPF check started over.  This
follows from the principle of least surprise, i.e. it is what the user
expects.
Ok, so say example.com has a redirect to nxdomain.example.org.  I
think getting a "None" result from checking example.com when
there clearly is an SPF record there will be quite surprising to
people also.

[...] as a matter of principle, "redirect=" should always work as if the SPF check started over. IMO, this is what the user expects.

Is there a definition for what an SPF lookup resulting in NXDOMAIN should return? I would think that if I was being asked to deliver mail for a non-existent domain would result in some kind of error condition. In reality, any host that checks HELO strings would have caught it likely generated a PermFail anyway. But if we resolve the original domain and follow an SPF redirect to an NXDOMAIN, I'd personally want it to result in "error"... or perhaps at least give an "unknown".

Bill