Re: Another SPF website (Was: Anyone else need write access?)

2005-06-04 11:51:29

wayne wrote:
In <42A09489(_dot_)6090302(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com> Daniel Taylor
<dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com> writes:

I'm thinking that there should be a couple of people other than me
able to update the site.

Any suggestions/volunteers?

My main suggestion would be to plan ahead.

What are your plans for selecting people, for selecting content and
for resolving disputes?

My plan in this area was to select people who have a solid track record
of rational discussion and who are willing to deal with it (even if I
might disagree with them on occasion).

As far as disputes, if it can't be worked out among the people editing
the site, it goes to the list, if the list can't reach a conclusion
we ask the council. I doubt it would get to that point very often.

We have been remarkably free of the trolls that used to hang out here,
but even so, it is clear that even among the hard core SPFers that
really want to see SPF succeed, there are disagreements over many
things.  I'm sure there will be disagreements over the content and
style of any website we create.

I firmly expect so. I'm kinda counting on it in fact, as that will
make the final version of the site that much better.

I firmly believe that a volunteer organization gets run by the people
who actually *do* something.  I am very thankful that you have taken
the first steps to create an SPF website.  I don't want to throw cold
water on it, but if your website is to become the official SPF
website, it is going to need community acceptance.

That is the other reason for having multiple people involved.
There is enough disagreement on details that if it is in the hands
of a single person it will not be accepted as canonical.

Ok, Julian hinted that there are things happening behind the scenes,
and indeed there are.

Yesterday afternoon, I finally received a tarball of the current
spf.pobox.com website from Meng, and I immediately put it up on
http://spf-classic.org.  Today, I was with my kids all day and was
basically out of net-access, but I did manage to get a lot more things
working.  The why.html page still isn't working, but I think I know
what is wrong.

That is great! One of the things I was hoping for was that we would
be able to use something of the original site, but I wasn't really in
touch with Meng to ask about it.

I didn't announce this yesterday is for a number of reasons.  First
off, spf-classic.org is currently pointing to my laptop, and today it
was offline all day.  Secondly, I don't think we have come to any
conclusion about what the offical SPF domain name should be.  I didn't
want, and still don't want, to have the spf-classic.org domain name
look like it is being forced on the community.  Thirdly, we haven't
organized the webmasters and hosting situation.  (There are *lots* of
people who have offered hosting.)  Heck, I don't even know how many
hits/sec the current website gets.

I will gladly take on managing hosting and domains, as it is
something I am fairly good at. Of course, I expect that is true for half
the folks lurking around here also.

So, yeah, here I am announcing yet another SPF website.  Yes, the
entire SPF council has been kept abreast of what I've been doing, and
folks who hang out on the #spf IRC channel also have seen some hints
that stuff is actually moving.  (Ok, I haven't warned the council that
I'm announcing spf-classic.org now, but I think they will live.)

Ok, my project for tonight was transfer spf-classic.org off my website
and onto another box I have set up.  I also need to finish editing the
SPF I-D.  I need to respond to some SPF comments on the ietf-822
list.  I need to do quite a few things.

I'll keep my ears open, and my resources available.

- --
Daniel Taylor