Re: SPF 2/3 maybe it is time to get this going.

2005-06-18 15:00:06
It may be jumping the gun.

First, Wayne et al, need to get SPF1 adopted by the IETF.

Then we can begin to have a new discussion on what's "next" because we must
make it backward compatible.   We need to do this as a clean slate looking
at all the issues that we know about, and then some.  The key thing is that
SENDER-ID/PRA is NOT the only consideration. There are a bunch of new
possible extensions we can do with SPF.

Once we have an official RFC for SPF1, you are going to see a bunch of new
follow ups, drafts, BCPs, etc.  Just like we have ESMTP for SMTP,  we can
think of it as ESPF (Extended SPF).

In fact, I think that should be the acronym for future extensions - ESPF
"Extended SPF"  This is a lot better than confusing the world with SPF2,
SPF3, etc.,

Julian, Wayne, etc,  I would to use the term ESPF at the web site and here
so that it can be trademarked by usage.

We can think of SPF2/SenderID as an ESPF extension.

In that vain, I don't seeing a problem with new discussions about new ESPF
drafts starting today. :-)

http://www.santronics.com