Re: Hotmail preparing to check SID with spf2.0/pra only?

2005-06-19 20:05:07

----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net>

http://weblog.taugh.com/hotmailsenderid.html?seemore=y
| Microsoft's Hotmail demands Sender-ID, backlash to follow

Where did John Levine here about that? Can anyone confirm it?

I posted a comment to John's blog asking for a source.  Until such
time as I see more information, I'm not going to believe this.  *Only*
using SPFv2 records runs counter to everything MS has been pushing for
over a year.

-wayne

John followed up and said his Deep Throat is an acquaintance at Hotmail.

Is it possible John misunderstood his source?  Look how the how thing
changes with one simple word change:

Original:

        Now, Microsoft's Hotmail, which also handles the mail for
        MSN users, says that they will shortly be checking Sender-ID
        on all mail TO Hotmail and will show a yellow warning box on
        all mail that doesn't pass.

Change one word "TO"  to "FROM"

        Now, Microsoft's Hotmail, which also handles the mail for
        MSN users, says that they will shortly be checking Sender-ID
        on all mail FROM Hotmail and will show a yellow warning box on
        all mail that doesn't pass.

In other words, if mail is going into hotmail from other HOTMAIL accounts,
then Microsoft knows that it is under their control and therefore they can
do a V2 lookup instead.

Make sense to me.  It serves them no justice to skip a V1 check on
non-hotmail.com senders.

It would be nice to get a clarification here.

http://www.santronics.com