Re: Hotmail preparing to check SID with spf2.0/pra only?

2005-06-21 13:40:38
Thanks Jeff for your input,  however, this doesn't quite make sense.

PRA is not a magic new "entity" in the system. It is just a terminology for
checking existing headers, if any, at the payload.

SPF1 means checking MFROM.

By stating they will not do a MFROM check, it could only mean they are
delaying the check until the payload is received. They will need to check
for the Return-Path: which is the MFROM.

If they are doing this at the DATA state, then the transport delivery issues
is less severe.   But if its done post smtp - it would be a major mistake.

http://www.santronics.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Macdonald" <jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com>
Newsgroups: spf.-.sender.policy.framework.discussion
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Hotmail preparing to check SID with spf2.0/pra
only?

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 23:05 -0400, Hector Santos wrote:
It would be nice to get a clarification here.

I was part of a phone conference yesterday were MS said they will be
checking Sender-ID records starting Wednesday on Hotmail. What the UI
will be showing was unclear to me. However MS is only doing PRA checks.
They will be validating against spfv1 records if the domain of the PRA
is using spfv1 records. I asked if they would ever do MFROM checks and
the response was no.

So if I understood everything correctly:
1) PRA only? - yes
2) spfv2.0 only? - no

There is supposedly going to be an article on MS website also, but no
url was given.

:: Jeff Macdonald | Principal Engineer, Messaging Technologies
:: e-Dialog | jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com
:: 131 Hartwell Ave. | Lexington, MA 02421
:: v: 781-372-1922 | f: 781-863-8118
:: www.e-dialog.com

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf