Re: Hotmail preparing to check SID with spf2.0/pra only?

2005-06-22 02:31:33

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex van den Bogaerdt" <alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net>

I guess he was thinking that under normal MAIL operations, you will have
headers in the message.   Go figure.

That may be because his MTA adds a "From: " header ?

Right. It did and the MTA added it based on the 2821.MFROM address.
Otherwise he would never be able to reply.

But PRA's logic is so messed up, it failed to consider all the
possibilities.

Imagine this:

Email domain "spammer.com" is a spammer. A bad guy!

IP Address:  1.2.3.4   (spammer machine)

and he has a SPF1 and SPF2 record for spammer.com

     V=SPF1  IP4:1.2.3.4 -all
     SPF2.0/PRA   IP4:1.2.3.4 -all

Lets supports go is going to send mail to bill(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com  so he
connects
to the hotmail.com host and starts a transaction:

SMTP transaction:

    HELO mail.spammer.com
    MAIL FROM:  <alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net>
    RCPT TO: <bill(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
    DATA
    Date: .....
    From: spammer(_at_)spammer(_dot_)com

    (2 meg MIME attachment)
    .
    QUIT

The SMTP receiver will receive the DATA block and create a temporary storage
that will include the trace information:

    Date: ......
    From: spammer(_at_)spammer(_dot_)com

According to MS, they will not check the MAIL FROM but will instead check
the PRA in the temporary 2822 data block..

In this case, we get:

    PRA=spammer(_at_)spammer(_dot_)com
    IP = 1.2.3.4

and the SPF1 or SPF2 lookup passes the test.

But it is clear this is a spoofed transaction.  The spammer used your
address for the return path and it was never checked.

The MS solution is that the SMTP received automatically added a high
priority header, like Sender:  so that the 2822 header now looks like this: