Re: SPF+SRS vs. BATV (was: SPF Stats)

2005-07-05 08:21:10

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, David Woodhouse wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 09:53 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
Any recipient who rejects your mail because they forwarded it
somewhere else first is badly broken.

You still seem confused. The recipient didn't forward the mail. The
forwarder did. This involves three (or more) entirely separate
administration domains.

My mail hosts act as a forwarder for a number of addresses. Any
recipient domain which rejects mail merely because I've forwarded it is
broken, yes. I have occasionally had cause to contact them and explain
why they should stop using SPF, to avoid throwing away valid mail for
their users. So far this has worked.

As Greg said the problem is not SPF - its how SPF is being marketed to
and as a result thereafter setup and used by mail adminstrators. If site
users have forwarding email coming to them (and presumable email users would know that), this would have to be accounted for. But the setup of spf with reection is being done for entire mail site without making certain prior to that that this would not be a problem for local users.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks