Re: SPF+SRS vs. BATV

2005-07-05 14:10:06
--wayne <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wrote:

Anyway, I disagree that it isn't feasible, but that's just rehashing
an old argument.

Agreed!

We can all agree that forwarding is a problem. The difference seems to be whether we believe it's an insurmountable problem. That is a judgement call, and trying to make a definite pronouncement (on EITHER side) is a waste of time. Either it's worth your time and effort to try and solve the problem, or it isn't.

David- I can understand your position and your approach seems to be working for you. However, your argument style makes it pretty clear that you have a low opinion of people who are trying to actually *solve* the forwarding problem.

Your argument style also shows contempt for other opinions besides your own, as if you have the facts and other people have misguided opinions. Please understand that value judgements such as "SPF is dead in the water" and "You can't expect large ISPs to keep track of forwarded mail" are NOT facts - they are YOUR opinion. Please don't disrespect people who are working hard to solve a problem just because you disagree on whether it's worth spending time on.

Furthermore, you seem much more likely to reply to people who more clearly disagree with you, and who have taken extreme positions to oppose your own extreme position. You seem to not have time to reply to others (such as myself) who are taking a middle position, and allowing you to have your opinion. I wonder why that is? Is it more fun to disagree with people who disagree with you more strongly? Is it less fun to try and interact with people who want to establish some common ground?

Scott, Stuart, Alex, etc.- Wayne is right, this is a rehash of the same argument we have had before. David has shown before that he loves to point out SPF's flaws, and that it gets a reaction every time. This isn't getting us anywhere.

The best way to counter someone who says "what you're trying to do is impossible" is to go out and DO it. If you haven't solved the problem that David is describing, just say "OK you're entitled to that opinion. Now excuse me, I have work to do." David has shown that he doesn't usually reply to people who are content to let him have his opinion. Or just don't reply at all - it doesn't diminish SPF to let sleeping dogs lie.

Now excuse me, I have work to do :)
gregc