Conflict with challenge/response filters

2005-07-05 14:40:54
To make my mail server SPF compliant, I have it do SRS-rewriting of all outgoing envelope-from addresses, using the method described at http://srs-socketmap.info/sendmailsrs.htm . In my capacity as server admin, possible messages to the domain used for SRS go to me.

Yesterday I received a "spam challenge" message from one of those challenge/response filter services, which let me know that the [SRS-signed address] address was not whitelisted. The "spam challenge" message was sent to the rewritten envelope-from address, not to the "From:" address.

The incident made me realize that having all outgoing envelope-from addresses rewritten clashes with the challenge/response approach. Not that I personally care much about the latter, but some users may consider it a problem.

Anybody who knows of a simple solution to this problem?

Other related comments?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson