Re: Updating SPF type99 and TXT RR's: Simultaneity is not guaranteed.

2005-08-11 11:55:31
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:

I'm still not clear what the SPF folks actually want in the presence
of failures.  Bounces? 4xx deferrals?  Mail forwarded towards the
destination?  Or is the current ambiguity acceptable?

TempError should result in 4xx deferral
PermError has been hotly debated, but the common agreement is that
  the sender must be notified in some fashion, whether by
  4xx deferral, 5xx rejection, accept with DSN, or whatever.

If you go for ambiguity, it's a waste of time to nail down the exact
difference between None, TempError, PermError etc.

In my work situation, for any case where rejection is warranted, even SPF FAIL,
there will be a need for case by case exceptions as local policy.  This
is because the sender is an e-idiot, but an important customer and
fine human being otherwise.  Case in point, custhelp.com/blockbuster.com is a
corporate e-idiot - I have to have a "treat fail as softfail" policy
in place to get their mail.  They ignore the regular DSNs complaining
about having to accept their email with SPF FAIL.  (I did send personal
letters, and even made a phone call.)