Re: [spf-discuss] Exclusive v. Open SPF records

2005-09-03 16:55:53
Gaven,

Your intuition is correct. Relaxed SPF (non-exclusive) policies is a major
source of contention for SPF.  It is a flawed concept.  SPF attempts to
close an SMTP loopholes but opens up new ones with such policies.

My recommendations has always been that they are limited or come with an
expiration concept.

The original goal of relaxed policies was to give implementators a change to
migrate to a strong exclusive policies.  However, with no time limit or
expiration of such policies, all it has done is give the spammers the "mile"
to exploit with ease.

For our system, our stats show 44% of all SPF transactions are relaxed.  Of
these, 66% are rejected using a CBV (Callback Verification). The statistics
is consistent month after month after month.

Until this is finally addressed, SPF will continue have a major thorn on its
side and give its pundits a reason for living.

http://www.santronics.com