[spf-discuss] Re: The wizard on the SPF home page

2005-09-03 21:24:11
Gaven Henderson wrote:

People new to SPF, me for example, have a hard time figuring
out the specifics of SPF at first and the wizard asking such
a question only to use softfail on the all doesn't help.

I'm not sure, "-all" has REAL consequences, and the wizard is
only a stupid script helping to get it right.  If it's only
for your private domain you'd laugh about any error and fix it,
or ask for help on the help list, if you don't get an answer
today you'll get it tomorrow.

But if your domain has thousands of users and you enforce some
buggy "-all" on them without prior education / warning it's s
nightmare (not only for you, also for your users, and for SPF
if your users do the right thing, call whatever troops they
have, nanae / slashdot / ...)

So I'd say the SPF wizard should stay away from "-all", no bug.

There appears to be no page on the spf.pobox.com web site
which simply outlines the syntax of SPF records

That used to be <http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html> - yes,
it still exists, and it's also readable with my browser.

It seems as if one must read the lengthy Internet-Draft just
to get the basics.

For the fine print of ptr / exists / include / redirect= it's
really a good idea.  For the basics it's not required.

For example, I could set up the ptr "mx.aol.com" for anyone
of my IPs and if the AOL SPF record includes ptr, connections
from my host would pass the SPF test.

No, I don't think so, it's double-checked.  Removing "ptr" from
the wizard is already on the wizard-wish-list, welcome to the
club.... ;-)

If those who run the pobox web site agree but don't have the
time, I'm more then willing to throw together a "SPF Syntax
and Explainations" web page as well as I'm willing to redo
the wizard.

There's a serious chance that the soon to be appointed new Web
master and / or Julian might accept your offer.  It's moving
slowly, but it's moving.  wizard.html and why.html are mission
critical, so there probably will be some kind of "beta" server
where serious bugs won't hurt.

E.g. see <http://new.openspf.org/mechanisms.html> - okay, it's
still empty, but not more the old ugly layout.  Hm, first time
I looked at <http://new.openspf.org/Community> - very promising,
I could edit a page.
                    Bye, Frank