RE: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-14 17:07:44
From: Alex van den Bogaerdt
[mailto:alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 5:48 PM

<...>

Then we agree (on the baseline part, not on the out-of-context part).

I say: SPF _improves_ this situation.

If the forwarder cannot deliver the message to the final recipient because
I used "-all", then I get what I want: if you forward my message,
don't use my name in mail from.

I agree, SPF with -all does let you make this policy statement.

We can agree to disagree on the forwarding part.  My opinion is that it is
bad because it introduces problems unknown to the original sender, and
"returning" the message to the original sender does more harm than it
solves.  SPF with -all does stop it and therefore I'm happy.

Very good.  This is a creative use for SPF to accomplish a specific sender
policy goal.

If someone wants to forward messages, by all means do so but do take
responsibility for any errors when _you_ (not you Seth, the forwarder)
run into problems.  You cause a problem, you solve it, so you need to
be informed (by receiving the stuck message).

That's an interesting idea.  I agree with the intent, since it informs the
party who set up the forward that there's a problem.  That's appropriate
since they created the problem and are in a position to do something about
it.  However, there's a practical issue.

I imagine this would be implemented by the forwarder changing the
return-path to the original RCPT TO address.  The bounce would certainly go
back to the user's account at the forwarder as intended.  Here's the
problem.  Since the user has set this up as a forwarding account, they never
retrieve mail from it directly.  If they regularly fetched mail from that
server, they wouldn't have set it up to forward.  So the question is, if the
user has set up their account to forward and never retrieves the mailbox
contents directly, how are they going to get the bounce message?  I suggest
that they won't ever see the bounce and this has the same effect as silently
discarding the undeliverable message.

--

Seth Goodman