Re: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-15 07:31:35
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:07:24AM -0400, Dick St.Peters wrote:
Alex van den Bogaerdt writes:
If someone wants to forward messages, by all means do so but do take
responsibility for any errors when _you_ (not you Seth, the forwarder)
run into problems.  You cause a problem, you solve it, so you need to
be informed (by receiving the stuck message).

If you don't want to be informed about delivery problems, don't use
your address as the MAILFROM when *you* send the mail.

I want to be informed about delivery problems when I send mail.  I just
do not want to be informed when user(_at_)forwarder sends mail to his other
address when he sends mail.  Yes, that's right, the other person sends
that other mail.

                                     Ultimately the simple basis for
      deciding what address needs to be in the RFC2821.MailFrom is to
      determine what address needs to be informed about transmission-
      level problems (and, possibly, successes.)

Have a look at mail you receive from this list.  Does my name appear
in mail from?  No.  And it shouldn't, because I cannot manage this list.

Similary I cannot repair any goofups the forwarder makes.  Therefore
I do not need nor want to receive bounces as a result.  Same story.

A forwarder forwarding to another mail domain (i.e. not internal rewriting
of a mailbox, but really forwarding to another account) is a gateway.
Gateways change addresses.  Gateways need to modify the mail from.

Alex