Re: [spf-discuss] News from the MAAWG/APWG conference

2005-11-16 14:44:52
In <x4mzkdbv31(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wayne
<wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> writes:

In <x4slu5bvwm(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wayne
<wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> writes:

The Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group (MAAWG)[1] and the
Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) are holding a conference this week.

According to the following story, MicroSoft announced a bunch of results.

* 87% increase in the .com and .net domains since March

* 27% since the July email authentication summit

*  6% increase in all domains world wide since July

Hmmm...

In contrast, Andy Newton is saying that there has been ZERO SPF record
growth since June.

See:
http://hxr.us/blojsom/blog/grumpops/computers/anti-spam/

OK, I have just finished another survey of domains for SPF records.

In early July, I found 1112298 SPF records in the .com domains. In mid
November, I found 1407911 SPF records in the .com domains. That is an
increase of 27%. Now, maybe all of that 27% came in the months of July
and Novemeber, but I *REALLLY* doubt it.

It appears to me that Andy's survey is borked and that now we have to
deal with more damaging misinformation from the MAAWG folks.

-wayne