Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

2005-12-09 12:15:51
In
<17305(_dot_)50310(_dot_)846622(_dot_)280515(_at_)saint(_dot_)heaven(_dot_)net>
"Dick St.Peters" <stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com> writes:

wayne writes:

I know you have worked quite a bit on Sendmail Inc.'s sid-milter for
them.

I have developed, on my own and originally for my own use, fixes for
some sid-milter bugs and some extensions.  (One of the extensions is an
option NOT to use v=spf1 for PRA.  I run it with that option on.)

I posted another reply to this message that was sent to the IETF list,
but I promised a reply here.

I guess one thing I forgot to say on my IETF post was: Thank you for
working on this SPF implementation.  Better implementations help us
all.

Can you list the semantic differences between SPF-classic and SenderID
that need to show up in implementations that support both?

No, I can't.  I've read parts of the documents but haven't read any in
detail.

As I mentioned in my other post, these were somewhat of trick
questions.

The short answer is that it will be really messy to try to conform to
both SPF and SenderID.  Even the "mfrom" identity is enough different
that you will have to put in a bunch of special cases.

There are some pretty significant differences.  For example, the
SenderID drafts still do zone-cuts.  This was something that was added
in mengwong-spf-01 and earlier versions for schlitt-spf-classic, but
it was removed because most implementations did not pick up this
difference between mengwong-spf-00 and mengwong-spf-01.

When I wrote the note to the IETF, I was planning on listing all of
the differences, but my notes only show how vague the problem is.

All in all, I'm really not sure if it is worth trying to correctly
implement SenderID.  It may be easiest to simply give a warning that
sid-milter really implements just an SenderID-like system.  If you
want the list of differences, let me know, and I'll try to clean up my
notes and provide a better list.

-wayne