Re: [spf-discuss] Empty MX name

2005-12-29 08:48:05
Terry Fielder wrote:

Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

Julian Mehnle wrote:

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

<snip>

Legalistic reason: "MX 0 ." is illegal because "." is not a valid FQDN, at
least not for what is generally considered an FQDN by the SPF
specification.
Yahoo believes that a "NULL MX" means the following:

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-delany-nullmx/

I'd tend to agree.

Hmmm. Isn't that a violation of some RFC? Because allowing a domain to send but never receive means that there is no recourse for abuse@ postmaster@ etc. Indeed, not even anywhere to send DSN's...

Perhaps I am missing something, please set me straight.  :)

The purpose of telling the world that you _do not_ recieve mail is that they can outright reject any mail from that domain. The purpose of the NULL MX is to tell the world that domain is not used for email. It's like an spf -all record, except isn't accompanied by the contraversy that surrounds SPF.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/