Re: [spf-discuss] Empty MX name

2005-12-29 09:56:28

william(at)elan.net wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Terry Fielder wrote:

Yahoo is saying that means the domain does not send email - basicly its
similar to when you put "v=spf1 -all" in your spf record and they want
people to use it as such replacement (yahoo is not a fan or others doing
spf as you know...).

I think you are correct, and I don't want to argue with you, but the RFC:
http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-delany-nullmx/

That is NO RFC. That is an internet draft produced by one particular party.

Er, right.  I stand corrected.

Says "This document formally defines the "NULL MX" as a simple mechanism by which a domain can indicate that it will never accept email."

"accept email" != "send email"

It's too bad one has to read the whole RFC to get the picture that, in the context of NULL MX "accept email" == "send email" by implication.

Would have been clearer to me on first read if: "This document formally defines the "NULL MX" as a simple mechanism by which a domain can indicate that it will never accept email and therefore (implies?) also does not send email"

Could you define what "domain does not send email" means?

Probably one of:
1) domain will not be used in the domain component of the RFC2821 Mail From
OR
2) domain will not be used in the domain component of the RFC2821 or RFC2822 Mail From

Point taken, being concise makes it wordy. But clarifying what "domain does not send email" means later in the document could still add to the clarity. Or do you think there is a different feasible interpretation then my suggested 1 or 2?

--
Terry Fielder
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com