Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Appeal Question

2006-02-06 23:12:32
Frank Ellermann wrote:

John Hinton wrote:

If we do appeal SendID and this does delay by six months SPF,
does it also delay by six months SID?

Iff there's any delay at all, and iff only one of the drafts is
delayed, then it would be senderid-core.

Will SPF still be in the queue ahead of SID?

Of course, senderid-core has a normative reference to v=spf1:

| 10.1 Normative References

|   [PRA]       J. Lyon, "Purported Responsible Address in E-Mail
|               Messages", draft-lyon-senderid-pra-01.  Work in progress.

|   [RFC2119]   S. Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
|               Requirement Levels", RFC 2119.

|   [SPF]       M. Wong and W. Schlitt, "Sender Policy Framework:
|               Authorizing Use of Domains in E-Mail", draft-
|               schlitt-spf-classic-00.  Work in progress.
[...]
                           Bye, Frank

OK, that makes sense.. but I must admit I know little about these proceedings. ;)

I still vote NO on the appeal, simply because of the delay and the fact the M$ has in the past implimented non-standards, at least in other areas, and pretty much forced their (MS's) standards upon the world. I fear that any delay simply plays to their hand. They've already started by providing SID software on their mailserver systems... more time means more mailsystems already running it.

It's a terrible quandry.. doing the 'right' thing is right, when dealing with a righteous entity... but I would have to commit myself if I began to feel like M$ corp. is a righteous entity.... at least for now. Bill on the other hand, yeah, he's pretty darned righteous with aid to areas of the world, but... that has nothing to do with business. Really, all we need to do is look at how we wound up here. SPF/SenderID.. and what was it that broke that deal?

But yet someone needs to put a nail in the foot of SID somehow....

John Hinton